Saturday, October 20, 2012

Library Characters

I'm ba-ack! It has been a while since my last post and my only excuse is that I'm finding it a challenge to juggle family activities/schedules, work responsibilities, and blogging stuff.

Our library has had a few visitors since the beginning of school! One surprise guest in September was Miss Lotty, a.k.a. the Library Dragon!
Yep, she sports a dragon tail and stylish beehive hairdo!
If you're not familiar with the story The Library Dragon by Carmen Agra Deedy, it's about a librarian named Miss Lotta Scales who is hired to guard the books at an elementary school. She starts out as a real dragon by not doing story time or letting the students even touch the library books. Of course, by the end of the story she transforms into Miss Lotty, a more kid-friendly librarian who allows the books to be checked out and even introduces story time in the library! A sequel book, Return of the Library Dragon, was recently published and I feel certain my students will be seeing more of Miss Lotty in the near future.


 Jumoke the baby gorilla continues to make occasional appearances at our library, but most of the time she is "napping" in the back office. Almost every class wants to know where she is and when they'll get to see her again, so to preserve my own sanity this past week I told them that she was away visiting a zoo! Who knows, that zoo trip may turn into an extended stay...

Last week's story Porkenstein, by Kathryn Lasky, brought out my inner scientist/inventor persona:
This is a great Halloween story that I read to pre-k through 4th grade classes. After the story, we had fun with science experiments. Please note that I use the word "science" loosely here, as the experiments involved water-filled beakers, cake sprinkles, an old TV cable, and a singing pig stuffed animal! Suffice it to say that I probably won't be awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry any time soon.

That's all of the library characters for now, friends. I'm signing off but am determined to do a better job of keeping up with the blogging world from now on. Who knows, maybe my next character will be called Super Blogger!

~Swersty

5 comments:

  1. ahhh!!! LOVE the Library Dragon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've missed you. But, I totally understand the whole finding time for it all thing. There are just too few hours in the day.

    Library Dragon sounds fabulous. I need to find that book.

    So here's the deal. We had a library aide, but she lost her position due to cuts. So they sent us a new aide, she quickly left us and went back to her previous school when that position was "re-offered" to her (totally understandable). Now we have no one. We are no longer allowed to take our kiddos to the library. It's horrible.

    We haven't had a librarian who taught about the library or had story time in a gobzillion years.

    See! We really do NEED you to come to Californai! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, you're too sweet--I've missed you too! California is tempting, but how about you move to Texas? I'm sad that you don't have anyone in the library; that is such a shame. Every school in my district has a certified librarian! At least come visit us sometime!

      Delete
  3. Dearest wersty I am the lucky one. I am so glad to see your post! You are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete