Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Summer Bummer

I love summer, but for some reason I always get into a summertime funk. Does anyone else experience this syndrome? You know, where you seemingly have tons of days with no school-related responsibilities and you think that you're going to be oh so productive around the house...


In reality I have been very lazy.  Here's what I've actually accomplished so far this summer:
     1. reading
     2. playing on the computer
     3. lounging around
     4. more reading
     5. more playing on the computer
     6. more lounging around


I shudder to think of the laundry and cleaning that should be done, and feeding my family of 5 is a daily struggle!
I have this hanging on my refrigerator!

So in an effort to get out of this summertime funk and be more productive, I'm starting to think about (gasp) school. Every year some of my librarian friends and I get together to plan our beginning-of-the-year orientation. We always do themes (this last year was a cooking theme with Chef Reid Moore), but nothing has been finalized for next year yet. Here are some pictures from past orientations:

2008-2009

2009-2010

2010-2011

Super Librarian is my all-time favorite orientation theme. The students loved joining forces with Super Librarian to defeat Captain Chaos, archenemy to book-lovers everywhere. As luck would have it, Captain Chaos had a change of heart by the end of that school year and even became a defender of books and reading! Plus, with this theme the teachers and I got to "fly" around the world (with a little help from a green screen and iMovie). To this day, students still ask me about Captain Chaos and Super Librarian!

So, what's next? I have a couple of ideas for a new theme, but nothing finalized yet. Hmmm, all this thinking has worn me out, and besides, there's PLENTY of summer left to worry about orientation, right?! Well, gotta go now; time to do #6 on my summer list...
~Swersty 



14 comments:

  1. So darn cute! I love super librarian. I was so excited the year I was able to be the summer school librarian. I will treasure that experience forever...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious! Your students must have the best time in the library! So much fun!!


    Laura
    Peace, Love, and First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our school had the Royal Reading Academy last year. It was so fun and on our annual Book Character Day to close out the Book Fair my teammates and I dressed up as different princesses. We loved having knights, queens and kings all around us. I hope we continue this theme this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing!!!!! Enjoy the quiet lazy time for as long as you can!!!! :) I go through the same funk too, though! :) can't wait to hear about what you come up with for next year!!!!!!!!! Happy summertime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear sweet Sweertzy -

    It's called Vacation Stress . . . I used to suffer BADLY from it and my roommate, who wasn't a teacher and couldn't relate, would make FUN of me. Whatever! Just look at you . . . you get SO into your job that without it, you're stressed . . . totally makes sense to me. Thanks for letting us in on the fun - ditto to what Reagan said!!

    Barbara
    The Corner On Character

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You are so much fun :)

    You should do something along the lines of a popular book- maybe Wimpy Kid or Hunger Games?

    ReplyDelete
  7. omgosh....I LOVE my librarian, but you take the cake, fo sho!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have given you an award! Come on over and pick it up!

    Erica

    Sprinkles to Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wersty, i just don't think you could be any cuter!!!
    And I recognize a few Super Friends and starlets in there....maybe even a villain or two...
    When I scrolled through google reader and I saw the dinner sign- I thought- I am going to have to show Wersty!!! And it was YOU!

    too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so clever! We don't have librarians in our district, so I am living vicariously through you!

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh... You could just come visit, right?!
    You are just too darn fun!!!!!!!
    It's probably not healthy to be this jealous of Reagan. ;/
    hahaha
    ❤Dragonflies in First ❤

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found your site through a comment on teacher' cauldron. You are too cute! I am going to have to sow your ideas to our librarian. I would love for you to stop by=)
    Heather
    The Busy Busy Hive

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh goodness, I thought it was just me feeling the funk. Its nice to hear someone else is also in kinda bummy mode like me. And I like you am trying to get out of it by thinking of work.

    http://themadnessthatiskindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete