Sunday, June 3, 2012

Surfer Chick

I recently discovered a great new picture book about a surfing little chick and her dad. This is what the cover looks like:

Everyone should go buy this totally awesome book by Kristy Dempsey! I love it so much that I just made a book study unit for it called "Surfer Chick and Her Rad Dad" and posted it on my TpT store for only $4.00! Here's a preview:


I want to read Surfer Chick to my kids when school starts back up in August because it'll still feel like summer here in Texas (triple-digit temperatures will do that). I had so much fun planning activities to do with this book  that it almost made me wish I was teaching summer school. Almost...


It's actually a good thing I'm not teaching summer school because if I was I wouldn't be able to go on our upcoming family vacation to Mexico! We are going to Playa del Carmen and although I won't be a surfer chick, I do plan on being a SNORKELING CHICK. And a BEACH CHICK. And also a POOL CHICK. Probably a FRILLY DRINK CHICK, too!


Sadly, summer hasn't started for me yet. I have a librarian inservice tomorrow and then 2 more work days before I can officially say this school year is over. However, I am looking forward to kicking off my summer with the Central Texas Blogger Meet-Up this Saturday! 

Come and join us if you can! I don't know if there will be any surfer chicks among us, but I'll bet some FUN-LOVING BLOGGER CHICKS show up!
~Swersty

10 comments:

  1. OH I need to get that book! That is just too cute.

    Your trip to Mexico sounds like it will be fabulous.

    I was REALLY hoping to take a little trip to Texas so join you guys at the meet up. Have a fabulous time and take lots of pics. :D

    ❤Dragonflies in First ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. This unit looks fabulous! I can't wait to try it out!
    I am really excited about the blogger meet up! It is going to be a big crowd!!!! I sure with Traci could come! Her comment made me sad!!! I am off to TpT to get this unit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh! That book is so ME!
    So bummed I can't go to the meet up :(

    ♥ Jen
    The Teacher's Cauldron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! So glad you will be at the meet-up, too! See you then. :)
    Erica

    Sprinkles to Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by and letting me know about this book!! I will be picking it up ASAP;) So jealous your going down to Mexico. We used to go camping all along the Baja coast when we lived in Cali:) Sounds like you have a fabulous summer ahead!

    Aloha,
    Corinna
    Surfin' Through Second

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad I got the chance to meet you. I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I'm so happy you'll be using Surfer Chick. Be sure to get in touch with me after school starts. I live in Brazil, but when my schedule permits, I offer free 15 minute Skype sessions with classes who are using one of my books. Just enough time for me to read the book, answer a few questions and encourage your students with some tips for their own writing. :)

    kristy @ kristydempsey dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. totally getting this book right now off amazon, so I will be getting your pack too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love both the author and illustrator here! Thanks for introducing me to this book. I recently read and did a unit on When a Dragon Moves In. Henry and Howard McWilliam are my dream illustrators if I can ever get a picture book published! (Howard did illustrate my abridged classics, though. That's how I discovered his oh-so-smazing-knock-my-socks-off illustrations!)

    A girl can dream...

    Firstgradebloomabilities

    ReplyDelete